Tuesday, February 5, 2013

RPM

Just a really quick post from me tonight. I have so much more energy on the Whole 30, but every night I am physically exhausted from the work I'm doing at Crossfit and in my other workouts. This is the second night in a row that I am opting to just veg in front of the TV before heading to bed.

Anyway, woke up very sore from the waist up from Crossfit, which was no surprise. What was a surprise was the fact that my lower back was the worst part. I am guessing it was the kettlebell swings that did me in. So I decided to give the upper body a break and go to my usual RPM class (in case anyone doesn't know, RPM is an interval-based cycling class from Les Mills, who also created Body Pump, Body Flow, etc.) with my favorite instructor, Tom. I was last at class only 2 weeks ago, 2 days before I took my first basics Crossfit class and I am stunned (stunned I tell ya'!) at the difference in my performance. There were a few tough hill workouts where I definitely felt the burn in my already tired legs, but cardiovascularly I was in such good shape. And despite being tired, I felt strong throughout. I was able to really push myself and still not feel like I was struggling horrifically. It borders on the bizarre.

I won't give the actual physical exercise I've been doing in Crossfit all of the credit. I am also incredibly well hydrated on my Whole 30, something I was not before. There was a mental aspect as well though. Nothing we did in that class was as horrible as what we do in Crossfit so there really wasn't any excuse to wuss out. Still, surprising (and pleasing!) amount of improvement.

Someone recently told me that it helps your recovery on off days to do some push-ups and sit-ups to get blood flowing to those areas so after class I did a couple of sets of 10 push-ups and 10 sit-ups and then did a few very gentle lower back extensions and stretched thoroughly. We'll see where that gets me tomorrow. My hope is to go to Crossfit Wednesday and Thursday, swim Friday for recovery and then participate in my first team WOD on Saturday. Lofty goals my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment