Thursday, February 21, 2013

One More Day To Go!

Only one more day to go in my Whole 30 and first month of Crossfit!! In the interest of full disclosure, I feel I should let you know that technically Saturday morning would be my first non-Whole 30 day, but since I have a friend in town from CA who I'm getting together with for dinner tomorrow night (to commence a fun filled weekend!) I will not be totally abstaining from about 7 pm on. I still plan to eat paleo and limit my alcohol consumption to a drink or two, but basically the Whole 30 is ending about 5 hours early. Hey, what can I say? Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for your friends.

Some other random tidbits. First off, I was really on a roll with my kitchen reorganization and a friend had me thinking about how much I hated the 2 plastic "bendy" cutting boards that have become totally worn and warped from the dishwasher so I went trolling at my favorite place to get kitchen supplies...get ready to be surprised....Ross Dress for Less. Seriously, no joke, check out what I scored for $50!


-That's a large plastic cutting board on the bottom left that just happens to match a smaller one that I own and that is my most frequently used cutting board. Good bye bendy boards -they went in the recycling bin yesterday.
-The little gadgets are a kitchen timer so I stop tuning out my microwave timer and burning things and an oven thermometer (turns out my oven does run about 25 degrees hot).
-A set of drying mats, towels and washclothes
-A basket to store all of the dog/cat/human supplements that had been cluttering my kitchen counter. Seriously, that basket, which now sits on top of my fridge is full. Please picture the counter space I was wasting, thanks.
-A set of 4 placemats that go with the 4 I previously purchased at RDFL
-A bag of organic coconut palm sugar. I know, random, right?
-And the piece de resistance, the thing I absolutely had no business spending money on except that now that I got those magnetic boards hung, I'm on a roll (and it was only $10 :P) - a magnetic dry-erase board for keeping tabs on my grocery list and what's in my freezer!

To say I love that store would be an understatement. I've gotten so much good stuff there over the years including a giant bamboo cutting board, my current drinking glasses, wine glasses and champagne flutes, the list goes on. I've also scored some great shoes and boots there ladies.

What else do you need to know? Oh, I tried 2 new recipes from Michelle at Nom Nom. The first were her Kale Chips. I've made kale chips before, but it had been a while so I followed her instructions. I had about a 1/2 a lb of chopped kale leftover from when I made that cacciatore so I tossed those with some walnut oil (didn't have the avocado oil she called for):


and popped them in the oven. Her timing was spot on and in 12 minutes I had a delicious and healthy snack. They're crispy, savory, and nutty - everything you could want in a snack - except that they're ridiculously good for you, win!

I also made a Garbage Stir Fry for the first time so I'd have a few days worth of healthy lunch to get me through the last days of my Whole 30. I had just cooked off a pound of sage breakfast sausage links so I sauteed some spring onions to the fat in the pan (waste not, want not, right?), then added some sliced cremini mushrooms and cooked them until they had some color. Then I added a pound of Polyface ground beef and about 1 1/2T of Savory Spice's Mt. Elbert all-purpose seasoning. Finally I added a bag of broccoli slaw from Trader Joe's and a bit more salt. It took me all of about 10 minutes and the result was delicious:


The best thing about this recipe is that it's really just a guideline. You can use any combination of fat, protein, veggies and spice that you think will work well together and it's an excellent way to use up leftovers from your fridge.

Time for me to head to the pool. Stay tuned for the big reveal tomorrow. How much weight have I lost. How many inches? Will I share my before and after photos? Does anyone actually want to see them? Only time will tell. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment